Saturday, January 18, 2020

Two Things: Good versus evil, and What's for Dinner

Two things:

1.  Does it feel to anyone else like there's this giant, obvious struggle in the world of good versus evil, and it feels like evil could very well win, and we're all just sitting here, holding our breath, covering our eyes and trying not to weep?  I mean, seriously, if you need Alan Dershowitz as your attorney, it's pretty much like saying, I'm guilty AF and I'm going to get off scot-free because I have money.

2.  I saw a recipe for roasted chicken in the NYT the other day, and the pre-ramble to the recipe said,
"My guess? It’s all anyone in your set will be talking about in coming days. I think you’ll want to make it tonight, or on some evening very soon. Go to!"
 That seemed really strange to me.  Like, since when does the NYT say, "Go to!"?  And I haven't heard anyone talking about the chicken, except here I am, talking about it.  But I did make it last night, and it was pretty good.  Let me know if you hear any chatter about the chicken.  It seems plausible that this is code for something.



9 comments:

  1. I think chicken just might be code for "turkey", like the gigantic one who . . . er, well, you know. Apologies to actual turkeys.

    Yes, I've been feeling the same, Betsy - the struggle of good versus evil in places previously known as civilized is very much what I see right now. It has always been in the world, but for those of us who grew up in the 60s and 70s, it's in our faces now, instead of far away in a land we'd never visit. I often wonder where we will all be in another ten years and how it will play out. I sure hope we'll be in a better place, and I don't mean an afterlife. I keep trying to have faith that there are masses of unseen and unheard sensible people who know right from wrong, and not just the ignoramuses we see in the news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. We can only hope that 10 years from now this will look like a blip.

      Delete
    2. 1. Yes.
      2. I read that NYT's newsletter too but did not make the chicken because the picture just didn't look that good. Plus, I don't have a "set." Also, I wanted to make soup. I believe that this was probably hyperbole on the part of the writer, unlike the Good vs Evil thing which is not hyperbole but quite obviously true.

      Delete
    3. I think soup is good but what were you talking about over soup, if not the chicken recipe?

      Delete
  2. Is is illegal to copy and publish the recipe for those of us who do not subscribe? Maybe I would try it. If it needs olive oil, I am concerned as I am now watching a TV news story on the demise of all the olive trees in Italy that are dying due to a disease carried by the spittle bug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably is illegal, but the gist is that you rub the chicken with lemon zest, salt, and rosemary and let it sit for 20 minutes before cooking. You roast it for a while and then add parmesan to it for the last 20 or 30 minutes. It is fairly yummy. No olive oil!

      Delete
  3. Oh my stars and garters, if it's not the greening virus threatening the oranges, or the imminent demise of the bananas due to monoculture, now it's spittle bugs killing the olive trees. I can't stand it. And yes, evil is abroad in the world. I graduated high school in 1970, full of the thought that things would be better, people would become enlightened and love would win. Boy was I wrong. The world is truly off the rails.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think even chicken soup can cure all the evils that abound. I am hoping it's all just a bad dream, but I am going to vote like it's reality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why haven't I been here before?
    I didn't read that recipe because I skip anything chicken.
    "Go to" is not the worst abuse of the language. It insults the eyes. Insults/assaults to the ears I find even worse. "Jim and me..." Grrrrrrr.

    ReplyDelete

I'm excited to report that the author Celeste Ng has selected m y modern love essay to read for the Modern Love podcast next week. Suc...