Monday, January 13, 2020

NYR


I did so well with my NY resolution last year that I thought I'd try it again this year.  I know we're already partway through the year and you're supposed to figure these things out in a drunken moment of optimism on NYE, when you think you're gonna be and do all these things that probably won't pan out, like be healthier and get more exercise and clean up all the time, and make your bed the instant you get out of it, and keep good records of everything filed away in an orderly fashion and keep up on all the paperwork.  Even if the government sends you a notice that you're supposed to get a cat, you promptly fill out the forms and do it. (I don't think that's a real thing but I'm not really sure how people decide to get cats -- there must be some notification from someone?)

Anyway.  I've been trying to come up with a resolution that's realistic, but will actually make my life better, and it finally came to me.

I am going to have a favorite coffee mug again.  I've had favorites in the past, but they eventually break or chip and I'm forced to move on.  It's a quiet grief.  You don't tell people, 'Um, I live alone and I had this favorite coffee cup, and we used to spend mornings together, and it's gone, and I miss it.'  You say that and people are all in for getting you a cat.

A few months ago I noticed that I was down to just a couple of mugs, so I went and bought a bunch at Value Village.  None of them were ideal but they don't have any slogans or dumb jokes on them, and they aren't chipped, and they're all the proper shape to hold 12 ounces.  And yesterday, as I pulled the cobalt blue mug out of the dish drainer, I had that happy feeling, like oh yay, I get you today!  So I think I can do this.  I think I can get attached to another mug, and miss it a little on it's days off, and be super happy when I get to use it, the way you do.

Happy snow day, everyone.


10 comments:

  1. I hear you! I was watching Larry David on Colbert and he had 2 that I thought were really good-
    1. Go to the bathroom BEFORE you leave
    2. Make 2 trips*
    *this one is not bathroom related (but I guess it could be?)- it's more about not trying to lug everything into the house in one trip, like coming back from the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are great resolutions. I may add them, depending on how my mug situation progresses. I don't want to take on too much.

      Delete
  2. I was notified that I was going to get cats when they showed up on my doorstep and notified me.
    I think that your resolution to get close to another coffee mug is one I, too, will adopt. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this image of you have a really pretty set of dishes and such to eat and drink from. I think you'll have no trouble being successful with this, but if you feel yourself faltering, reach out. Don't struggle alone! I'm glad your cats got to choose you. Lucky!

      Delete
  3. I think that's a highly realistic NYR and I believe in you: you can do it! Actually, my husband, who never seems to notice what he's eating or eating from, has confessed to having two favourite mugs. They're both a deep shiny cobalt too. Here's a suggestion for you: try to find a second one, and then you'll have twice as many happy days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm kind of monogamous when it comes to favorite mug. I'm not positive it would add to the joy, or dilute it -- you could ask your husband what he thinks.

      Delete
  4. I have various mugs from artwork of my grandchildren and I LOVE them. They provide me joy when I am drinking out of them. I think it is both wise and easy to get attached to a or some coffee mugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the perfect-sized resolution, and I know you can do it! Weirdly, despite being a devout lover of hand-thrown pottery and having several excellent mugs that I've thrown myself, for the past few years my favorite daily mug has been a commercially produced one with some flowers printed on the side that was given to me by a former client. Something about it being the exact right size for my morning latte, the exact right shape to cup in my hands or balance on my knee while I play Spelling Bee, being a super hard ceramic that never chips .... I'm not sure. I feel a little bad that I have been neglecting my beautiful hand-thrown stuff, but what can I do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love is love. We can't choose who or what we love, I guess; we just have to go with it. :-)

      Delete

I'm excited to report that the author Celeste Ng has selected m y modern love essay to read for the Modern Love podcast next week. Suc...