Tuesday, October 4, 2011

How to keep kids off drugs

Dear N'3lvra,

I want to know more about Huevos Rancheros. Are they a good prophylactic for all forms of drug abuse, or just sniffing glue and paint? Please advise, and quickly.

Sincerely,
Worried but Hopeful

Dear Worried but Hopeful,

First, I'd like to commend you on your correct usage of the word, "hopeful".  It's good to use it correctly, and even better to be it.

Once, when I was a young child on a long drive home from a long day of skiing, my dad started doing this thing where he formed a fist, held it up to his mouth, and started blowing into the tube created by his rounded fingers.
"Why are you doing that?" I asked.  
"To stay awake."
"How does that keep you awake?"
"Well," he responded, "have you ever seen someone doing this in their sleep?"
It's basically the same thing with Huevos Rancheros, but it's so much easier to lure teens with food than with the suggestion that they blow into their fist.

1 comment:

  1. I will now think of your dad every time I eat mexican. My dad always did this thing where he touched each finger to his thumb up and down the line of fingers. He said I just do it, that's all I know.
    Aren't dads cool?

    ReplyDelete

I'm excited to report that the author Celeste Ng has selected m y modern love essay to read for the Modern Love podcast next week. Suc...