Friday, February 5, 2010

FB protocol

Dear Chortnee,
I saw you answer a question about FB, and I'm wondering if you'd be able to answer another one for me. I keep getting friend requests from people whom I'd consider a tiny bit random. By that, I don't mean that they are unpredictable in their motion or anything, but rather, I just don't really know them. Like, for example, my father's dentist. Or the secretary from a job I held ten years ago, and by the way, and I'm only saying this once, she was a bit annoying as a secretary, if you know what I mean. You know the sort who acts like helping you with a mass mailing, or printing a big report is kind of a hassle for them and they'll do it just this once as a special favor, when in fact, it's their job, and you really shouldn't have to grovel to get them to do it?

But I stray from my question, which is, must I accept these requests? I certainly don't want these people to feel un-liked, but then again, I am not really interested in seeing their posts, or sharing mine.

Appreciatively,

Don't wanna be a jerk

Dear Don't Wanna,

Oh, I hate this problem. You could, and I'm not saying I would do this because I need all the friends I can get, but you could send a FB note, kind of over-enthusiastic, saying something like, "My Father's Dentist! AWESOME! Let's get together, shall we, and have a cup of coffee to talk about your friend request. I think we should schedule about 2 hours, because I have a LOT to catch you up on."

Do you think they'd fail to reply, and then it would be more like THEY dissed you, letting you off the hook? But yes, this strategy could go VERY wrong, don't say I didn't warn you.

P.S. Why do people say, "and I'm only saying this once?" Shouldn't that be the norm?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm excited to report that the author Celeste Ng has selected m y modern love essay to read for the Modern Love podcast next week. Suc...